Thursday, November 11, 2010

Sheeee's BAAAACK!

You all have read my last post - where Mother Nature had a field day here.  Well, she's at it again.  On Monday, the temps were in the 70's, and it was a beautiful day.  We have been having nice weather for a while now, and except for the last tantrum that Ma Nature had, the weather has been great.  One of my neighbors actually had some flowers in her flower bed bloom!!

But now - temps in the 30s, lows in the teens and 20's and the wind was back again, and we were supposed to get snow.  Record snowfalls all around us - - and what did we get here - a 6 Inch Rain (you know, a drop every 6 inches)!

But I digress - -

I have to say for the past few years we have been very lucky - nice summers (although sometimes a little hot), a long fall season, and mild winters.  And for the last few years, a wet enough spring to fill the lakes, and make the Hills green!  And I think that this winter will be close to the same.   But soon - -

We are overdue here for a real South Dakota Winter - snowfall in early September, that stays until mid-May, and just keeps piling up - and up - and up!   I think the last real winter we have had here was back in 1984 or 85 - blizzard-like conditions more often than not - 8 - 10 foot high drifts across the roads - being snowed in for days - I am sure many of you remember these winters, too.  It's the type of winter South Dakota became known for.   

Yep - - long overdue.  

I guess I'm the type that doesn't like it when we get a snowfall of an inch or two, that usually melts away in a few days.  If it's gonna snow, I would rather see it snow enough that the drifts are around waist-high, and it sticks around for a while.  You know the kind - where you are "snowed in" for a day or two - schools close, and you are at home resting in your cozy living room, sipping hot cocoa, and enjoying the quiet (at least until the power goes out - but THAT'S another story!).

I don't think we will see this type of snow any time soon - but some day - - - -

No comments:

Post a Comment